The following reflections are based on the observations of Korean ELF class with a strength of around 30 students. The session was headed by 2 teachers, male & female. They were all over the class. Lot of methods were adopted by them to have a very interactive session. All the approaches observed are mentioned below, also I see myself using them collectively as they created a lot of positive energy, relaxed environment leading to humungous interaction, student participation and responses.

Reflections

To begin with, the female teacher introduces the male teacher who asks students, how they are feeling. Various answers are taught. One answer is ‘feeling hungry’, female teacher points to her stomach while saying this. This highlights the use of Direct method wherein translation is missing, visual aids are used to clear concepts. Additionally, audiovisual clips are shown, students watched the clips to answer the questions. I really liked that teacher used help of body language to clarify certain words instead of explaining in the native language. I feel there is a great deal of value in this technique adopted by the female teacher, even I see myself using it in future in the practica. Another time during the session, teacher asked students the past tense for go camping, went camping; this highlighted that grammar is learnt inductively while playing a game.

Community language learning approach was also used. Teacher harnessed positive energy by periodically practicing clapping with the students. This activity created positive energy & curbed boredom. I look forward to trying this clapping technique in my practica as well. The syllabus was learner-generated, students were shown pictures for almost everything. This leads to creating an interesting learning environment, a student in class loudly said “wow “upon looking at the picture of a computer.

Furthermore, implementation of the Audio-lingual method was also seen during the session. Throughout the session many slides were shown, students repeated dialogues by teachers. Learners repeated patterns and instructors ensured correct responses. Students are made to hear a video, on listening the students are asked questions. Teachers were seen giving tickets as a reward for correct answers. Every time teachers showed a model of questions & answers expected, accordingly students created responses.

Later students are made to adjust their chairs to form groups. Class is divided in 6 groups, a time-bound, action word game is played. Every time 20 seconds were given to write answers before deciding a winner. Students loved it, when one team got the point, other students would become more quick & competitive, they loved this game. This shows use of the Total Physical Approach where learning is carried out in a fun way. Teachers provided various humorous variations in command.  Both teachers ensured students were writing correct responses, some students were taped writing in English & Korean also.

In an online setting also this could be used. Breakout rooms can be created, I see value in this approach as well & would use it in my practica.

Suggestopedia Method was also used by the teachers. First, the teachers did role-play of Superman & Kitty dialogues, then students repeated these dialogues. At a time, 2 students stand up & answer, they practice role-play using these dialogues. Teachers then play a song based on these dialogues. This would ensure fixation of learnt concepts as students also sing along. There is a lot of repetition, no stress & a relaxed environment. Teacher & students sing together, there is music in the class & L2 learning happens in a relaxed environment in a fun way. Looking at the student enthusiasm, I am looking forward to incorporating the song technique in my practica & teaching as well.

Final approach seen here was Communicative Approach, students were shown some pictures of authentic things, they identified these things. This lead to simplify L2 learning process. At the end of the session, students return the stationary to the teachers. In an online setting, we can use an Interactive whiteboard for this purpose.

Summing up, this session was very well planned, organized, interactive, fun & educational, all at the same time. This is one modal session that I would look forward to creating in my teaching journey as well.