On 15th March, 2021, Monday evening, I joined the LLC Conversation Club’s Social Room for delivering my 9th practicum. The topic covered was ‘Fashion’. I selected this interesting topic as its fascinating and adds sparkle to the otherwise monotonous life.

Reflections

My desk was set up as usual with name tags and the student name list. I added a fun new game, ‘emoji adjective’. Students were supposed to draw an emoji representing their feelings, on the blazer. It was a new way to check in with students to see how they’re doing. I believe this is very important in today’s time as many people are experiencing high stress levels. Also it was a fun way to build vocabulary.

Today’s session was very interactive. Unexpectedly, boys were more into the session and had great knowledge about the high-end fashion houses. Students were made to pronounce the names and it was great fun. Furthermore, many students did not know how to correctly pronounce the names as most of them were French and Italian. This was followed by everyone unmuting their mics and everyone pronouncing these names correctly and collectively. This infused lot of energy and fun in the session. I tried something new today, creating your own story, students were put in breakout rooms and they were supposed to create their own story looking at the pictures on the slide.

The name list help me observe that 1 student (Elizabeth) was not participating in the breakout room activities. I will make her cognizant about this in the next session.  I also tried to show the students a video in this session, this was something new again. Students loved the celebrity video as it was followed by 2 related activities for which clear instructions were spoken as well as written on the slides. It was good to see that students contributed important points like investing in a house or a car rather than investing in a designer bag.

The session ended with the same emoji blazer designed by students in the beginning of the session, this time it was worn by a celebrity. Students enjoyed the humor.

In an attempt to improve as a teacher and as recommended by my instructor Alex, in the exit ticket slide, I asked students to give me advice on how to improve as a teacher. Students gave positive feedback. I thanked each student for the effective feedback. It was very encouraging to receive these wonderful comments. Mentioned herewith are some comments from the students:-

“Everything is great.”

“You are awesome please don’t change anything”

“You are very good”

“I really enjoyed your classes Riva, success”

Lastly, name tags, name lists, Moodle tools and colorful slides were used as always to make the session engaging.