The following reflections are based on the observations of Chinese ELF class with a strength of around 25-30 students. The students are studying in 6th grade. The session was headed by 1 female teacher. She remained in the front of the class. Lot of methods were adopted by her to have a very interactive session. All the approaches observed are mentioned below. What I loved about this session was the way scaffolding technique was used to create an entire session. The entire lesson was very well linked from simple words to sentences to questions and finally the answers.

Reflections

To begin with, the teacher extensively used PowerPoint presentations to show pictures to students. I liked the use of audio-visual aids as it leads to a better understanding of words. These pictures are like modals introduced in class, students speak what they see and teacher ensured correct responses. Teacher also used signs to explain certain words. There is a lot of repetition and correct responses are ensured by teacher. I can relate this to the Audio-lingual method.

Teacher also used the scaffolding technique in the entire session, she started by showing individual pictures of for example the beach, followed by its spelling, relating it to hot/cold weather, then to activities like swimming, further forming sentences & finally asking questions while showing these pictures collectively. I see great value in using this technique in warm-ups wherein it can be used to link it with the topic to be covered for that class.

Teacher kept showing pictures, working to build vocabulary.  Learners repeated the responses collectively which were learnt individually. I can link this to Debrief technique. This is a very valuable tool adopted by her to ensure fixation of the lesson learned. Students spoke individually as well.

Teacher was seen using Total physical approach as well. As the lesson progressed, ‘match the word’ games were played. This is a great way to make L2 learning happen in a fun way. Teacher was great fun, used humorous variations which students really enjoyed. My take is that it is imperative to create a stress-free environment as it leads to effective learning.

Furthermore, the native language was not at all used. To explain certain words teacher used body language and hand gestures instead of explaining in student’s native language. The entire class was very well structured, showing the use of the Grammar-translation method as well. Students repeated the structures & sentences after teacher. Though this method has some drawbacks but the good thing is that teacher used this method in conjunction with many other approaches & techniques of language learning, drawing maximum from each method.

Interestingly, for an Exit ticket, students had to work in pairs and speak 3 sentences (fill-ups) based on what they had learnt during the session. I see great value in this, I could use it in online setting for my practica as well. Breakout rooms could be created and students can work in pairs or in teams, could even do a role play of topic practiced.

Since the class is structured and having a teacher-controlled environment, it ensured collective student participation which sets out great energy in the class from the very beginning. Interaction happened towards the end of the class but the entire session was very organized, great fun & well planned.