On 27th January, 2021, I joined the LLC Conversation Club’s Social Room. Mara Audet was the instructor, and it was supervised by Karen Densky. The session started as she introduced the first slide showing pictures of different types of skating. I felt the session was a combination of Audio Lingual Method and Total Physical Response Method.

Reflections

1. I really liked that today Mara’s camera was working and we could see the instructor. Students draw on the first slide, it’s a very good way to keep students busy and make them familiar with the tools while everyone is joining the meeting. Additionally, it’s a good way to engage the students before moving on to the activation/study phase. Periodically, students were asked to switch tools which added variety and made the lesson fun. 2 games were played and I noticed that students were smiling, indicating that they were enjoying. I liked that the instructor corrected responses when required.
  2. However, there was one slide containing 20 fill-ups. If I were to do this, I would have split these into 3 – 4 slides as I felt that it created monotony. The good thing is that while seeking answers for fill-ups, the instructor remembered the professional background(eg. chef) of few students and used this information to ask more questions relating to them(eg. cooking) in general.
  3. What got me thinking was the exit ticket time, it took nearly 10 minutes. I am wondering if it is for this long in actual classroom settings also or it should be little quicker in virtual setting as well. I saw great value in engaging students from the first slide onwards and would definitely incorporate it in my sessions as well.